It’s a new year. Just think, you may be able to go on a mission trip in 2019! In a few short months, you could be half way around the world on a mission trip! You could be making a difference sharing the love of Christ with other believers in their local churches or sharing the Good News with the lost. It is very exciting to “GO” on a trip! Here are a few questions to ask yourself to see if you are ready to go. If you’re not ready right now, this will give you an opportunity to prepare and get ready.
Before you start planning a mission trip, ask yourself the following 2 questions.
1. Do I know why I want to go?
2. Do I realize it’s not a vacation and I’ll be working with people relatively unknown to me and there will be stresses?
I think we all need to be honest with ourselves when answering these questions. You may just read them quickly and wonder why you need to answer them. I don’t want to discourage you from going on a mission trip but I do want you to spend time thinking and praying about it. There are no wrong answers!
Ask yourself the following 5 questions to assess your spiritual and physical readiness.
1. Am I a Christian?
2. Am I faithful with my Bible devotions and church attendance?
3. Do I desire to share the Gospel with others?
4. Do I have health problems or a medical condition that may get worse on a trip or endanger my life?
5. Am I unhealthy and have addictions to cigarettes or alcohol? If yes, do I need to get help with these issues before going on a trip?
Besides the above questions, you also need to ask questions about your readiness to travel overseas. Ask yourself the following 3 questions.
1. Is my passport current? Best practice is to have it valid for 6 months after your return date. Do I need a Visa to travel to your host country?
2. Is there political unrest? Will it be safe for a team to travel there?
3. What diseases are prevalent? Do I need to get vaccinations or medicines before I travel? Check with your team leader or on the CDC.org website.
These questions are meant to help you prepare to go on a trip. They are a guideline. There aren’t any right or wrong answers. You are the only one that can decide if you are ready to go on a trip. The information can be overwhelming. Start praying and have faith that the Lord will guide you and use you on a trip. Most people come back feeling they received more than they gave. It definitely works both ways. Please be open and ask the Lord to lead you.
Hope to see you on a mission trip in 2019! For more information, download or buy my book from Amazon. Click on the link to buy it now or download for FREE on January 22 and 23. Your Guide From the Couch to the Mission Field.
The sales from the book help support mission trips!